The Epiphone SG Special VE Electric Guitar is a result of the collaboration of the teams at Epiphone and Tobias. Their main aim when they introduced this instrument was to reintroduce the sophisticated Toby Standard IV. The design of this instrument is inspired by the original designs of Michael Tobias, hence the nickname ‘Toby’.
The instrument is also designed with the intention of bringing innovation to bassists looking for an instrument that allows them to play modern tunes. The body shape is designed in a way that will enhance the comfort of the player.
The Epiphone SG Special VE Electric Guitar is equipped with an adjustable bridge which is low profile. It is equipped with a length scale of 34 inches.
The instrument is designed for easy adjustment, thanks to a neck profile equipped with recessed bolts and washers. The neck is also designed to be thinner on its lower side than it is on the upper end.
This allows for enhanced hand comfort. Even though the neck ends tend to feel thinner, this does not compromise the overall strength and stability of the instrument that allows it to produce a deep rich tone.
- Body Body shape: Single cutaway Body type: Solid body Body material: Solid wood Top wood: Not applicable Body wood: Poplar Body finish: Satin Orientation: Right handed Neck Neck shape: 60s SlimTaper D Neck wood: Mahogany Joint: Bolt-on Scale length: 24.75 in. Truss rod: Standard Neck finish: Satin Fretboard Material: Rosewood Radius: 14 in. Fret size: Medium jumbo Number of frets: 22
The Epiphone SG Special VE Electric Guitar takes after all other Epiphone instruments when it comes to well-made hardware such as the die-cast machine heads that allow for tuning stability. It also has a flush mounted bridge that is fully adjustable. Other features you will find in this guitar include the following;
- An asymmetrical neck designed to offer comfort
- Scale length of 34 inches
- Single coil pickups at both the neck and bridge areas
- Equipped with the Tobias TBR Dual Rail Humbucker on its neck and bridge
- Equipped with controls that include the treble cut, bass cut, master volume, pickup blend which comes with a center detent
- 4 strings
- Product dimensions are 17 x 44 x 5 inches
- Neck is made from hard maple
- Even though this is not an original Tobias it is associated with them and you can feel it when you hold the product
- For this price range, it’s good that you are getting a product even remotely associated with the Tobias brand
- The guitar is lightweight making it suitable for someone who wants to use it while traveling
- Has a wide variety when it comes to the tone
- Think neck which makes is easy to play even for people with small hands
- Noisy pickups
- Comes with a slight buzz on the frets which you should get attended to by someone who knows what they are doing
- Needs some work to set up, also ensure you get someone who knows their way around this kind of instrument to do the initial setup
Before anyone makes the mistake and starts complaining that they have been misled, let’s get one thing out of the way. This bass guitar is not an original Tobias product as you can see from the name on the packaging.
An original product would certainly cost a lot more than this product is going for. Even with this being said, you will be glad you are getting a product associated with the great brand. The guitar does have the Tobias feel to it.
When the instrument arrives, it will need some minor adjustments. If you have an idea of how to go about these adjustments, by all means, you can fix your instrument.
However, if you are still new to this type of thing, you are better off going to your local guitar shop and getting someone to do the adjustments for you.
It is always a good idea to check what the other products in the market look like before settling on the one that interests you, so we found the Squier Fender Vintage SS Jaguar Bass at exactly the same price. When you look at the Fender Vintage guitar you get the feel that it would be a great product for someone looking for an instrument to use for learning of teaching.
Both the Epiphone Toby and the Squier Fender Vintage will suit someone looking for value but working within a budget. They are almost the same size. If you look at the Squier Fender Vintage guitar it looks like the finishes are not perfect but gain when you look at the price you are paying, you will excuse it.
You can also check out the Ibanez GSR200BWNF 4-String Bass Guitar also coming within the same price range. The Ibanez GSR200BWNF is the kind of instrument which shows that a musical instrument does not have to cost a fortune.
- GIO Series
- Medium Frets
- Dynamic P Neck Pickup
This product is designed for someone looking for the Ibanez quality but at an affordable price. When the tone knob is turned to full treble, you will notice a slight buzz but you will understand that this is something you can expect from a product coming at this price range.
The Epiphone SG Special VE Electric Guitar is a product we are comfortable to recommend. We are especially impressed by the fact that the unit is associated with a great brand such as Tobias.
We are sure if it did not meet the standard, the people at Tobias would not have wanted any association with the bass guitar at all. As long as you understand that this is not a Tobias product, you will probably be happy with the service you will get from this instrument.
When you look at other products in the same class such as the Squier Fender Vintage SS Jaguar Bass Guitar and the Ibanez GSR200BWNF 4-String Bass Guitar you will agree that the product has most of the features expected from products in this price range.
Just remember that you will need to set the guitar up after buying it. This will ensure that it is right just for you. If you know how to do this, you can do it for yourself. However, if you are still new in this area, it will be a good idea to speak to the professionals at your local guitar shop.